If God doesn't help...

 If God doesn't help...


Having a Plan B may not be wrong. But it can interfere with one's relationship with God if God is Plan A. 

Hello! I am King Saul! I am the first king of Israel. While I felt shy and awkward initially when prophet Samuel anointed me as king, now I am perfectly confident that I have the wisdom, skills, and courage to lead the people and fight their battles. I have a lot of plan Bs. 

If God does not help me, I can do it myself. 

Samuel, the prophet, had asked me to wait until he came. But, when I saw the Philistines around me and the men in my army scattering away, I decided to help myself and make the offering without waiting anymore for Samuel. But when he came, he said my kingdom would not continue. 

If God does not speak to me, I will ask Satan. 

I got used to doing things my way and helping myself. It appears simple and more sophisticated, with the prophet not bothering me with his conditions and rules on everything. Do you know that he once asked me to destroy all cattle and people alike when I went to war? What is victory if you don't get to bring home the plunder? Anyway, we destroyed everything except the best of the cattle, like Samuel commanded us to do. When we were full and in a mood of celebration, Samuel came in and spoiled it for us. However, years passed, and at a particular time in my life, I was extremely scared of the Philistines surrounding me, and I realised I could not do it myself. I wanted guidance, but the prophet Samuel had already died. 

I decided to ask for God's guidance, and he did not answer by Urim, dreams, or even by prophets. Earlier, it was an inconvenience to hear him. But now, when I actually wanted a prophet to speak to me, no prophet showed up. 

So, I went to a witch in Endor and asked her to bring up Samuel using witchcraft, and he said the last thing I would have wanted to hear. He said that I would die in the battle.

THIS IS THE STORY OF SAUL. THERE IS ANOTHER MAN WHO STANDS IN DIRECT CONTRAST TO SAUL. HE IS MOSES. 


Exodus 33:15

Moses said, "If your presence doesn't take the lead here, call this trip off right now." (The Message)

Then Moses said, "If you don't personally go with us, don't make us leave this place." (NLT)

Here is a man for whom God's presence was a top priority and he would rather not do it than do it without God. It would have been practically impossible to tell his people that they would be staying in this place, as God has refused to come with them. They were ready to stone him on one occasion (Num. 14:10). Yet Moses willingly took the risk, as he knew that there was no alternative to God's presence. He refused to compromise when God offered to send an angel (instead of going with them personally) and help them through the process (Exodus 33:2, 3). More than inheriting the land of promise, receiving help through the journey, and all the blessings God may provide, God's presence was of extraordinary importance to him. 

 

What do we do when God is silent and we don't hear from him? What do we do when he does not send help but makes us wait? Do we try to do it by ourselves or try to find a shortcut that is abominable to God?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Believe or Not to Believe...

The Food-Delivery Guy Who Saved a Country